Sunday 21 August 2011

Sunflowers and courgettes


A few months ago I decided to plant a few flowers and maybe the odd vegetable or two. You will be able to read about it in some of my older posts. ANYWAY! With a few drawbacks (Rocky being the main one) I was able to take what was left of the flowers and plants that Rocky did not destroy and transplant them to a new flower bed that I made in the front of the house.  All the plants have started to grow and even some of the flowers have bloomed. I had 4 large plants that I would swear were sunflowers except they did not grow tall. I thought this was because Rocky had damaged them or maybe it was a dwarf breed. I decided to leave them in my flower bed as a kind of experiment and just see what would happen. Low and behold, flower heads started to form and I thought I was in luck for a change.  I noticed over the last few weeks that yellow flowers were starting to form, and they were definitely not sunflowers. I was out looking at them this evening and it turns out the flowers are growing into courgettes of all things.  NOW, I’m not daft or anything, and I know the difference between sunflower seeds and any other seed, but I don’t remember growing courgettes of all things. I think with all the destruction that Rocky my boxer dog created when he tore the back garden apart and the fact I tried to salvage what plants that were left over, I must have mixed the seedlings up somehow. The funny thing is, I was sure that the only plants that escaped Rocky’s pot smashing and soil digging was my sunflowers as I was sure they were the ones left up high, from harms reach. Looks like gardening is not my thing, although I will enjoy my courgettes when they are ready to eat. Now the only thing is, what do you do with a courgette? I never had one before. Well at least I don’t think I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Courgette salad
Grate the courgettes on the coarse side of your grater.
Toss them with the olive oil, lemon or lime juice, clear honey, poppy seeds and the crushed garlic clove. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve as soon as possible (or it will get too watery), with sizzling barbecued chicken or lamb, kebabs or burgers.