Sunday 4 September 2011

Sunday Dinner = Courgettes?

Sunday dinner is normally one of the best dinners of the week. I always look forward to going up home to Donegal for the Sunday roast with Yorkshire puds and gravy. Oh, how my mouth is watering wright now!
It’s a wee bit different when you are living on your own (well except for Rocky the boxer dog). It would not really be worth buying a Sunday roast beef as it would be a glut for only one and anyway, Sunday roast is a meal that people should eat together. Anyone out there want to invite me for a Sunday roast? LOL


I decided that I would continue experimenting with my courgettes and make another dinner, and I have to say it turned out really well.

First I got all my ingredients and prepared and chopped them. I used a really cheap mandolin type cutter to slice the courgette so it is just like spaghetti.

I then lightly fried my onion (red onion as the other one was bad) and in with the garlic and chicken. Because I was unsure about how courgettes cook, I added half a mug of instant vegetable stock. To be honest, I could have left this out as the dish started to get to wet.

I then added the courgette and then the peas. Because of the stock made it seem too wet, I added some instant noodle to soak it up. The instant noodle did a great job, but it didn’t really go together with the dish so I would be inclined to leave it out if I ever make this again. After a few minutes, I added a few spoonful’s of low fat cream cheese, or at least I think it was cream cheese as it was in German as I bought it in Aldi.

And here is the finished dish. I have to say it was really good and if I left out the noodle and maybe used smoke salmon instead of chicken, it would be fantastic and every bit as good as you would get in a restaurant. Add a few shavings of Parmesan cheese and maybe a bit of cream or creme fresh, and it would be perfect. All in all it cost about €1.30 to make.   Who said you need money to eat well?



No comments: