Tuesday 7 June 2011

FETAC 4 MERIT?

Last January I did an ECDL course which teaches the proficient use of Microsoft Office. As part of the course, we did a few other exams such as City & Guilds Office procedures, City & Guilds Typing and manual handling. WELL this morning I received my FETAC 4 certificate for Manual Handling and I was shocked to see I only got a Merit. A MERIT?  FECK SAKE!   This was the easiest exam to do and all we had to do was demonstrate that we could safely move a few boxes and answer a few questions.  I think there must be some mistake  A FECKIN MERIT?  Now a merit is, I suppose a B grade so in a way it isn’t bad. But manual handling was the easiest exam ever and how I could have got the Merit is beyond me. Even if I came in on a wheel chair, with two broken arms and a blindfold, I would still get a better grade than a merit. When I went to college last year, I only got a merit for drawing because I missed most of those classes.  Not only that, I am a qualified cabinetmaker and I spent most of my working life safely manual handling the furniture and cabinets that we made. I just can’t believe I got a merit.  ??????   
I am sure my grade would have been at least 99% and that would have been on a bad day.
Modules at FETAC Level 4, 5 and 6 are graded as follows:-
Distinction 80-100%
Merit 65-79%
Pass 50-64%

About FETAC

The Further Education and Training Awards Council (FETAC) is the statutory awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. FETAC makes quality assured awards that are part of the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) from levels 1-6. Meeting learner needs is central to the work of FETAC.
FETAC:
  • makes and promotes awards on the National Framework of Qualifications
  • determines standards and award requirements
  • validates programmes leading to awards
  • monitors and quality assures programmes and services

No comments: