Saturday 1 September 2012

Sculpture No More

Sculpture No More

This is a sculpture that I made 6 or 7 years ago, if not more. It was made from shredded and pulped paper and mixed with cement as an artistic experiment. The sculpture was hung up on the garden wall and exposed to the Irish weather. After about 5 years, some of the pulped paper started to decompose and the sculpture became a habitat and food for insects. One day I was in the garden and I foolishly started to mess with the sculpture and like an eejit, I dropped it and unfortunately broke the fekin thing, so the sculpture became no more. I might make another sculpture, using the same materials and maybe add some organic matter like leaves and grass. It would be interesting to see how it changes, as the material starts to breakdown and decompose over time.
That is a project that I will consider doing in the future.


 My next sculpture (using same materials) will be more detailed and on a larger scale. I'm not sure yet, but I think it will have a celtic design or maybe I will do a gargoyle?
Any suggestions would be very welcome.

3 comments:

J said...

what about a Sile na Gig? Or if you want a real monster how about the government ? Oh no that's a cowboy outfit.why not a big pocket watch?

Marknine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marknine said...

Sile na Gig or Sheela na gig, both correct. I like the way you are thinking J. I had thought about doing that as a project, but I think it may be a wee bit rude and also how would I explain it to family if they came round. I was thinking of maybe doing the merman, as illustrated in the book of Kells. It would be the second time, if I attempt it. When I was still working as a cabinetmaker, I started an oak carving of the merman (from the book of Kells) in my spare time, in the workshop. But my boss wanted to charge me £20 an hour, even though I was using my own wood and tools and doing it in my break. The only reason I was trying to get it done was because I was doing a woodcarving class (that I paid for myself) and it was for the end of term show. The only reason I didn’t get it finished in class is because I sacrificed doing most of the classes so we would get a big job finished on time (for the same boss) Did not get compensated for loss of classes or any type of bonus, and purely did the work as a team player. Needless to say, it was only after the job went out and was completed, that my boss wanted £20 an hour. I felt totally shafted and it broke my hart and, stupidly (on my part) I never did woodcarving again. If I could go back in time, I would never let that company walk over me and treat me so badly.